Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
Are you in your foxhole?
A foxhole is a Defensive Fighting Position (DFP)* used by the military when soldiers are at war. The DFP serves as protection when attacking and being attacked. Developing and maintaining the DFP is a constant and ongoing task for soldiers deployed in combat areas. The soldiers don’t take off their gear and only put it on when they hear gunfire. They wear it constantly until they are no longer in the foxhole.
As a believer, you should have the same way of living. You will be in a DFP until Jesus returns. You are to develop and maintain your armor. There is no time to “lay your religion to the side”, no time to take it off and put it back on for whatever reason you think you should. You put it on, and it stays on. As God’s servant, a soldier in His army, you are to remain in the foxhole. Let’s use 2 Corinthians 6:4-10 (The Passion Translation TPT) to identify what that means.
- You don’t lose courage in a time of stress and calamity.
- You stand when beaten by life, imprisoned by your fears and struggles, and during the battles you fight in your mind.
- You endure many troubles, sleepless nights, and even hunger.
- You prove yourselves by your lifestyle of purity, by your spiritual insight, by your patience, and by showing kindness.
- You have uncritical love.
- You make yourself known because of your truthful teachings, validated by the power of God working through you.
- You wear the whole armor of God and use the mighty weapons of righteousness—a sword in one hand and a shield in the other.
- You remain steadfast and true whether honored or dishonored, slandered or praised, called deceitful or honest, and recognized as a Christian or an imposter.
- You are an unknown whom everyone knows.
- You are frequently at death’s door, yet you are still alive.
- You have been severely punished yet not executed.
- You may suffer, yet in every season, they always find you rejoicing.
- You may be poor, yet you give great riches to many.
- You seem to have nothing, yet in reality you possess all things.
Always remember, you are in the foxhole because the devil is unrelenting and your part in the spiritual war does not end until Jesus returns.
Please agree with me as I pray:
Father, I know I have said so many times, “the enemy is always on his job”. I have often followed that comment with, “but we’re not always on our job”. I repent for every time I was not on my job. I want to be on the job, period. I don’t want leave, furlough, or time off. I certainly don’t want to be discharged. I don’t want my armor to be something I take off and put on, depending on what’s going on in my life. I want to live in it. Thank You for the revelation that I am in a foxhole. I am fully armed, at all times, completely ready for whatever the next situation is. The enemy will not catch me unaware. Being in a defensive fighting position gives me the ability to see the enemy from afar off. Then, I can formulate a strategy. Having on my armor gives me the ability to stop him or prevent any real damage. I know what to do and I can be victorious. Thank You…
More on defensive fighting positions used by the military.
ASK THE LORD WHAT HE WANTS TO SAY TO YOU ABOUT TODAY’S DEVOTIONAL AND JOURNAL IT HERE